KONA HDMI, KONA 1 and Desktop Software v14.2
AJA Video Systems unveiled two new KONA cards, and announced Desktop Software v14.2. KONA HDMI is a PCIe card for multi-channel HD and single-channel 4K HDMI capture for live production, streaming, gaming, VR and post production, while KONA 1 is a PCIe card for single-channel HD/SD 3G-SDI capture/playback. Desktop Software v14.2 adds support for KONA 1 and KONA HDMI, plus new improvements for AJA KONA, Io and T-TAP™ products.
A powerful HDMI video capture solution, KONA HDMI supports a range of workflows, including live streaming, events, production, broadcast, editorial, VFX, vlogging, video game capture/streaming and more. KONA HDMI is highly flexible, designed for four simultaneous channels of HD capture with popular streaming and switching applications including Telestream Wirecast® and vMix. Additionally, KONA HDMI uniquely offers capture of one channel of UltraHD up to 60p over HDMI 2.0 using AJA Control Room software for file compatibility with most NLE and effects packages. It is also compatible with other popular third-party solutions for live streaming, projection mapping and VR workflows. Developers can take advantage of the platform to build multi-channel HDMI ingest systems and leverage VL42 compatibility on Linux. Features include: four full size HDMI ports; the ability to easily switch between one channel of UltraHD, or four channels of 2K/HD; and embedded HDMI audio in, up to eight embedded channels per input.
Designed for broadcast, post production and ProAV, as well as OEM Developers, KONA 1 is a robust, cost efficient single-channel 3G-SDI 2K/HD 60p I/O PCIe card. KONA 1 offers serial control and reference/LTC, and features standard application plug-ins, as well as AJA SDK support. KONA 1 supports 3G-SDI capture, monitoring and/or playback with software applications from AJA, Adobe®, Avid®, Apple®, Telestream and more. KONA 1 enables simultaneous monitoring during capture (pass-through) and includes: full size SDI ports supporting 3G-SDI formats, embedded 16-channel SDI audio in/out, Genlock with reference/ LTC input and RS-422.
Desktop Software v14.2
Desktop Software v14.2 introduces support for KONA HDMI and KONA 1, in addition to a new SMPTE ST 2110 IP video mode for KONA IP with support for AJA Control Room, Adobe Premiere® Pro CC, part of the Adobe Creative Cloud, and Avid Media Composer®. The free software update also brings 10GigE support for 2K/HD video and audio over IP (uncompressed SMPTE 2022-6/7) to the new Thunderbolt™ 3-equipped Io IP and Avid DNxIP, as well as additional enhancements to other KONA, Io and T-TAP products, including HDR capture with Io 4K Plus. Io 4K Plus and DNxIV users also benefit from a new feature allowing all eight analog audio channels to be configured for either output, input or a 4-In/4-Out mode for full 7.1 ingest/monitoring, or I/O for stereo plus VO and discrete tracks.
“Speed, compatibility and reliability are key to delivering high quality video I/O for our customers. KONA HDMI and KONA 1 give video professionals and enthusiasts new options to work more efficiently using their favorite tools, and with the reliability and support AJA products offer,” shared Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video Systems.
KONA HDMI will be available June 2018, KONA 1 will be available May 2018 and Desktop Software v14.2 will also be available May 2018 as a free download from AJA’s support page.
New Solutions Supporting SMPTE ST 2110
AJA Video Systems revealed the new IPR-10G-HDMI Mini-Converter, which converts SMPTE ST 2110 IP video/audio to HDMI. This new Mini-Converter allows broadcast, production, post and ProAV professionals to output SMPTE ST 2110 video/audio to HDMI monitors. AJA also introduced SMPTE ST 2110 support for its KONA IP via free Desktop Software v14.2.
“SMPTE ST 2110 is positioned to drive IP video adoption forward, and AJA is committed to delivering tools that help bridge IP with existing technologies,” said Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video Systems. “IPR-10G-HDMI and KONA IP, with SMPTE 2110 support, allow facilities to take advantage of the many benefits ST 2110 offers for uncompressed HD video and audio over IP, while getting the most out of the gear they already have in edit bays, OB trucks, control rooms and other environments.”
The first in AJA’s new 10GigE IP Mini-Converter line, IPR-10G-HDMI provides monitoring of HD SMPTE ST 2110 signals via HDMI. It receives ST 2110 over 10GigE connectivity, formats the data for output on a full-size HDMI interface, and the associated audio from the video stream is extracted, synchronized and embedded into the HDMI interface and also output on an analog RCA interface.
Key feature highlights include:
- SMPTE ST 2110 audio, video receiver
- Rugged, fanless design
- 1x 10GigE SFP+ cage for media LAN [with status light]
- 1x 1GigE RJ45 socket for control LAN [with status light]
- Dedicated HDMI receiver with full size HDMI 1.4b video port
- Support for 1080p 60, YCbCr 4:2:2
- Full 10-bit pixel processing pipeline
- Embedded HDMI audio output (up to eight channels)
- 2x RCA analog audio output
- Mini-USB port for quick initial network configuration with AJA eMini-Setup software
- Complete control interface on any web browser from a built-in webserver
- Customizable control with AJA REST API
- 5-year international warranty and support
Desktop Software v14.2 with SMPTE ST 2110 Support for KONA IP
Desktop Software v14.2 adds SMPTE 2110 support to KONA IP, allowing KONA IP users to simultaneously ingest or output and monitor a single-channel HD feed using SMPTE ST 2110 via AJA Control Room, Adobe® Premiere® Pro CC, part of the Adobe Creative Cloud, and Avid® Media Composer®. It also adds new feature enhancements to AJA KONA, Io and T-TAP products.
The IPR-10G-HDMI will be available May 2018
NEW KUMO 3232-12G and KUMO 1616-12G Routers
AJA Video Systems introduced KUMO 3232-12G and KUMO 1616-12G, two new compact 12G-SDI routers. KUMO 3232-12G offers 32x 12G-SDI inputs and 32x 12G-SDI outputs, and the KUMO 1616-12G offers 16x 12G-SDI inputs and 16x 12G-SDI outputs. Designed for use in broadcast, production and ProAV environments, the new routers support large format resolutions, and high frame rate (HFR) and deep color formats, while reducing cable runs when transporting 4K/UltraHD over SDI. The routers offer network-based and/or physical control, and mirror the compact physical form of AJA’s production-proven KUMO 3232 and KUMO 1616 routers, adding a new USB port for configuring IP addresses via AJA’s eMini-Setup software. Multi-port Gang-routing also means the new 12G-SDI models are 8K ready.
Key feature highlights include:
- 12G-SDI inputs and outputs for up to 4K/UltraHD support at 60p
- Small, portable 2RU (3232) and 1RU (1616) form factors
- Single cable support for streamlined 4K/UltraHD signal routing
- Redundant power supply option
- Configure and save up to eight salvos per router
- Auto re-clocking SDI rates: 270 Mbps /1.483/1.485/2.967/2.970/5.934/5.940/ 11.868/11.880 Gbps
- Support for AJA KUMO Control Panels (hardware, with direct connect or networked)
- USB port to easily configure the router IP address and simplify initial network configurations
- Embedded web server for remote control on any standard web browser
- 5-year warranty and support
“4K/UltraHD, HFR and deep color workflows have introduced new challenges for professionals and facilities by requiring more bandwidth, so we’ve expanded our line of KUMO routers to the latest 12G-SDI standard,” shared Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video Systems. “KUMO 3232-12G and KUMO 1616-12G pack the throughput and single cable simplicity of 12G-SDI into a compact router with a very high-density for 4K/UltraHD sources and destinations.”
KUMO 3232-12G will be available July 2018
FS-HDR v2.5 Firmware Update
FS-HDR improvements that streamline live HDR production
AJA Video Systems has announced v2.5 firmware with new feature enhancements for the company’s FS-HDR real time High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Color Gamut (WCG) converter/frame synchronizer with Colorfront Engine™ video processing. The company also released new single and multi-mode fiber SFP options for FS-HDR and FS4.
v2.5 firmware enhances the Colorfront Engine transform algorithm with support for ITU BT.2408-0 Operational Practices in HDR Television. Additionally, the FS-HDR now supports a simultaneous 4K/UltraHD and 2K/HD output mode with independent SDR/HDR controls. Newly integrated BBC Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) Look Up Tables (LUTs) provide basic, mathematical HDR transforms. Infoframe generation on the HDMI monitor output provides an easy, cost-efficient solution for local monitoring on HDR-capable displays. The release will also integrate new standardized HDR test patterns. Finally, new Tangent Element Kb panel support for remote parameter control enables real-time adjustment control over FS-HDR’s key conversion parameters.
FS-HDR v2.5 feature enhancements include:
- Colorfront Engine support for ITU BT.2408-0 Operational Practices in HDR Television Production
- Simultaneous 4K/UltraHD and 2K/HD/SD dual output mode: In single-channel mode with a 4K/UltraHD input and 4K/UltraHD output, configure the SDI monitor output for SDR/BT.709, PQ/BT.2020, HLG/BT.2020 or Sony S-Log3 S-Gamut3, with these output formats and frame rates independent of the main output:
- 2K: 2048 x 1080p up to 60p
- HD: 1920 x 1080p up to 60p; 1920 x 1080PsF up to 30p; 1920x1080i 50 and 59.94; 1280x720p up to 60p
- SD: 625i 50; 525i 59.94
- BBC HLG LUTs
- Support for HLG HDR dynamic range mapping per ITU BT.2408-0
- SDR, PQ, and Sony S-Log3 to HLG
- HLG to SDR and PQ
- Colorimetry: BT.709 and BT.2020
- HDMI HDR Infoframe generation: Locally monitor HDR content on HDMI 2.0 HDR televisions or monitors. When an output is configured for PQ or HLG, FS-HDR will signal the selected HDR output format to the HDMI display.
- HDR Test Patterns: BT.2111-0 Color Bars and BT.814-3 Pluge
- Support for third party Tangent Element Kb knob-based controller for remote parameter controls
At NAB 2018, AJA is also rolling out new SFP options for FS-HDR and FS4 frame synchronizers/converters, including:
12G-SDI Single-Mode SFP options
- FIBERLC-1RX-12G SFP 12G-SDI Single Fiber LC Receiver Single Mode 1310nm
- FIBERLC-1TX-12G SFP 12G-SDI Single Fiber LC Transmitter Single Mode 1310nm
3G-SDI Multi-Mode SFP options
- FIBERLC-1RX-MM SFP Single Fiber LC Receiver Multi-Mode 850nm
- FIBERLC-1TX-MM SFP Single Fiber LC Transmitter Multi-Mode 850nm
- FIBERLC-2RX-MM SFP Dual Fiber LC Receiver Multi-Mode 850nm
- FIBERLC-2TX-MM SFP Dual Fiber LC Transmitter Multi-Mode 850nm
FS-HDR v2.5 firmware will be available June 2018 as a free download from AJA’s support page.
AJA Adds Avid DNxHR Support to Ki Pro Ultra and Ki Pro Ultra Plus with v3.0 Firmware
AJA Video Systems today announced v3.0 firmware for Ki Pro Ultra and Ki Pro Ultra Plus, adding Avid® DNxHR codec support to the file-based 4K/UltraHD/2K/HD recording and playback devices. Available soon as a free software download, v3.0 allows users to record above HD rasters with Avid codecs within a native .MXF wrapper, supporting Avid editors and .MXF workflows with more flexible options. Ki Pro Ultra and Ki Pro Ultra Plus already support Avid DNxHD codecs for 2K/HD resolutions.
v3.0 firmware for Ki Pro Ultra and Ki Pro Ultra Plus will be available as a free download soon via: https://www.aja.com/support
v3.0 firmware adds support for:
Avid DNxHR codecs for UltraHD (23.98,24,25,29.97p) and 4K (23.98,24,25,29.97p):
- DNxHR HQX
- DNxHR SQ
- DNxHR LB
Five New openGear Cards with DashBoard Support
AJA Video Systems announced five new openGear-compatible video and audio rack cards, with support for Ross® Video DashBoard software for remote control and monitoring. Alongside the new cards, the company is also previewing a new next-generation OG-X openGear-compatible rackframe with expanded power capabilities at NAB 2018
Designed for use in compatible openGear 2RU frames, including AJA’s OG-3 2RU frame, the new cards combine the reliability and functionality of AJA Mini-Converters with the high-density openGear architecture. New DashBoard software support provides convenient and industry-standard configuration, monitoring and control options over a PC or a local network on Windows®, macOS® or Linux.
New models include:
OG-3G-AMA: 3G-SDI Analog Audio Embedder/Disembedder
An eight-channel analog audio embedder/disembedder, OG-3G-AMA supports 3G-SDI input and output up to 1080p 60, and automatically detects and configures to the input video standard. It uses 3-pin terminal block connectors that can be set to perform audio input or output functionality. Analog audio levels and audio embedding/disembedding are selectable, with embedding/disembedding on a channel pair basis to pass 3G-SDI input audio or embed input analog audio from 3-pin terminal block connectors.
OG-UDC: 3G-SDI Up, Down, Cross-Converter
OG-UDC is a 10-bit broadcast quality up, down, cross-converter that bridges HD and SD video resolutions. It provides 3G-SDI input and output, HDMI output and two 3-pin terminal block connectors for balanced analog audio outputs.
OG-4K2HD: 4K/UltraHD-SDI to 3G-SDI Down-Converter
OG-4K2HD accepts four 3G-SDIs as a 4K/UltraHD input and downconverts to HD on both 3G-SDI and HDMI outputs simultaneously, using AJA’s high-quality scaling for cost-effective monitoring and conversion. Live 3G-SDI and HDMI outputs facilitate pristine HD images for set monitoring or live broadcasts. 4K2HD supports conversion of HFR 4K inputs at 50/60fps to HD outputs at 50/60fps. Configuration options allow HD images to be extracted from the 4K input for a 1:1 pixel image for 4K focus checks on HD displays.
OG-Hi5-4K-Plus: 4K/Ultra 3G-SDI to HDMI 2.0 Converter
OG-Hi5-4K-Plus offers 3G-SDI to HDMI 2.0 conversion, supporting HFR up to 60p for 4K/UltraHD. It provides pristine image fidelity from professional 4K HFR devices when monitoring to HDMI 2.0 displays. OG-Hi5-4K-Plus generates HDR metadata in accordance with HDMI v2.0a/CTA-861.3. The new card offers a simple monitoring connection from 4K devices from quad 3G-SDI or dual 3G-SDI to HDMI 2.0 displays, with two-sample interleave (2SI) or square division (Quadrant) source mapping.
OG-HA5-4K: HDMI to 4K/Ultra 3G-SDI Converter
Featuring four 3G-SDI outputs, OG-HA5-4K allows high quality conversion of HDMI video to 4K 3G-SDI, for professional workflow integration from DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, action cameras, or prosumer 4K video cameras.
NEW HELO v2.1 Firmware
Update adds support for closed captioning and HLS streaming, and new Chinese, Japanese and Korean language web UI options
AJA Video Systems today announced v2.1 firmware for its standalone HELO H.264 streaming, recording and encoding device. The free update enables further customization of live streaming and recording workflows with HELO, and includes new features driven by customer feedback.
HELO v2.1 firmware feature highlights include:
- Closed Captioning (CC) streaming from SDI input
- HLS streaming for direct interoperability with Apple® iPads® and other consumer devices
- Chinese, Japanese and Korean language support in HELO’s web UI
HELO v2.1 will be available in June 2018 as a free download from AJA’s support page.
HDR IMAGE ANALYZER
Intuitive new waveform, histogram, vectorscope and Nit level HDR monitoring solution
AJA Video Systems had a tech preview of its new HDR Image Analyzer at NAB 2018. A waveform, histogram, vectorscope and Nit-level HDR monitoring solution, HDR Image Analyzer simplifies monitoring and analysis of 4K/UltraHD/2K/HD, HDR and WCG content in production, post, quality control (QC) and mastering.
Combining AJA’s production-proven and powerful video and audio I/O with HDR analysis tools from Colorfront in a compact 1RU chassis, the HDR Image Analyzer offers a flexible solution for monitoring and analyzing HDR formats including PQ (Perceptual Quantizer), Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) and Rec.2020 for 4K/UltraHD workflows.
The new product is the second technology collaboration between AJA and Colorfront, following the successful integration of Colorfront Engine™ into AJA’s FS-HDR in 2017. Colorfront has exclusively licensed its Colorfront HDR Image Analyzer software to AJA for AJA’s HDR Image Analyzer.
Key feature highlights include:
- • Precise, high quality UltraHD UI for native-resolution picture display
• Advanced out of gamut and out of brightness detection with error intolerance
• Support for SDR (Rec.709), ST2084/PQ and HLG analysis
• CIE graph, Vectorscope, Waveform, Histogram
• Out of gamut false color mode to easily spot out of gamut/out of brightness pixels
• Data analyzer with pixel picker
• Up to 4K/UltraHD 60p over 4x 3G-SDI inputs
• SDI auto signal detection
• File base error logging with timecode
• Display and color processing look up table (LUT) support
• Line mode to focus a region of interest onto a single horizontal or vertical line
• Loop through output to broadcast monitors
• Still store
• Nit levels and phase metering
• Built-in support for color spaces from ARRI, Canon, Panasonic, RED and Sony