Blackmagic Design today announced ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K, a new extremely advanced Ultra HD live production switcher with 6G-SDI technology for only US$2,495. At NAB 2013 in Las Vegas, Blackmagic Design introduced the ATEM Production Studio 4K, the world’s first Ultra HD live production switcher. Now this new advanced ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K model will provide customers with added features such as 10 independent 6G-SDI inputs each with frame sync, built in DVE with zoom, scale and rotate, 4 upstream chroma keyers, 3 independent aux outputs with front panel control and a larger media pool that holds both still frame graphics as well as motion video clips. The current ATEM Production Studio 4K model will be reduced in price to US$1,695.
The new ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K lets customers connect up to 10 x SD, HD or Ultra HD 4K video cameras, disk recorders and computers for live production. The advanced ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K includes all the features expected from a professional switcher, including 4 chroma keyers, built in full motion DVE, transitions, large media pool, 2 downstream keyers, 3 independent aux outputs, built in multi channel audio mixer, multi view, re-sync on all video inputs and all connections feature the latest 6G-SDI and HDMI 4K video technology.
The much larger media pool on the ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K allows 32 still frames with fill and key in Ultra HD as well as 180 frames of full motion clips with fill and key Ultra HD. When switched to 1080p or 1080i video formats the media pool allows 720 frames of full motion clips. The built in media pool means customers don’t need to run large and expensive external graphics servers with the ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K because of the large media pool memory the 2 built in media players allows, plus the included Photoshop plug-in allows all on air graphic’s management to be built into the switcher itself.
With a built in powerful DVE processor, even when running in Ultra HD, the customers can get full position, resize, scale and rotation of any live video source. The built in DVE can be used for positioning of graphics, for picture in picture presentations or for use in exciting DVE based transitions. ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K also includes support for using the media pool based graphics with the DVE for exciting stinger transitions.
ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K lets customers work and master to Ultra HD when used with the HyperDeck Studio Pro, which has Ultra HD and 6G-SDI support. This allows important events to be captured in the television format of the future and is perfect for live music events, sporting events, theatre productions, program production, conferences and more.
Ultra HD is four times the resolution of regular high definition video for a massive 3840 x 2160 frame size. Blackmagic Design was the first company in the world to ship products using the new 6G-SDI and HDMI 4K video connections so customers can now purchase a range of products that effortlessly handle Ultra HD. Even when operating in Ultra HD every input of the ATEM switchers includes a full frame synchronizer allowing the use of non genlock sources such as computers. There is also a high definition down converted HD-SDI program output for when the switcher is operating in Ultra HD formats, but a regular HD program feed is required.
The ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K features a strong and elegant machined aluminum front design. The front panel key pad lets customers select between routing to each of the 3 auxiliary outputs, and the built in LCD screen provides instant feedback on the status of the auxiliary outputs. The aux switching is also a valuable tech monitoring tool for setting up and for live aux switching during production.
The ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K includes the ATEM Software Control Panel for both Mac and Windows that provides complete control of the switcher from a laptop or desktop computer. If customers prefer working with a traditional hardware control panel they can add either a ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel or ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Panel.
ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K features built in multi view monitoring so customers can view sources on a single SDI monitor or HDMI TV and multi view includes independent views for program, preview and 8 customizable switcher sources. ATEM Production Studio 4K uses an aviation grade operating system that ensures mission critical reliability, unlike cheap computer based switchers that interrupt video if the computer crashes. With ATEM Production Studio 4K there will still be video output even if one of the control panels loses power or crashes, so the live event is protected from any potential problems.
“With new Ultra HD televisions hitting the market, consumers are gearing up for an amazing transition into a cinema viewing experience in the home! We think this is an exciting revolution that is only just starting, however the primary problem is content creation,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “Live production is the fastest way to generate massive amounts of Ultra HD content quickly and live events offer some of the most exciting sources for entertainment that will take advantage of the increased resolution of Ultra HD images. ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K is perfect for this market and we think it will become the center of Ultra HD live production.”
ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K Key Features
• Full live production switcher with media players, chroma keying, transitions and more.
• Switcher can be selected between SD, HD and Ultra HD video formats instantly.
• Built in multi view lets you see 8 sources, preview and program on an HD-SDI and HDMI output.
• 10 Inputs total with 10 6G-SDI and 1 HDMI inputs. All inputs feature auto re-sync.
• 2 6G-SDI program outputs, 1 HDMI 4K program out and 1 down converted HD-SDI program output.
• Built in media pool graphics storage for 32 RGBA Ultra HD stills and 180 frame Ultra HD clips.
• Built in full motion 2D DVE with position, scale, resize and rotate features.
• 2 media players allow graphics to be connected to keyers for fill and key layering.
• Transitions include cut, mix, dip to color, SMPTE wipes and more.
• 4 upstream keyers include chroma keyer and 2 downstream keyers are included.
• 3 auxiliary outputs include front panel aux switching buttons and LCD screen for viewing.
• Built in audio mixer live mixes embedded audio from all video inputs and independent audio inputs.
• Balanced XLR stereo analog audio inputs and 1 HiFi RCA stereo audio inputs into built in audio mixer.
• Audio mixer is output onto balanced XLR audio outputs and on all video outputs.
• Internal sources include black, color bars, two color generators and media pool.
• Ethernet connection for control panel connection. Mac and Windows control panel software included.
• Compatible with all ATEM Broadcast Panel control panels when hardware panel is required.
• Black Burst and HD-Tri-Sync genlock input.
• Compact 1 rack unit size for a portable solution.