The Canon EOS 5D Mark III delivers images like you have never experienced before, as a result of the incredible 22.3 megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor and fast DiG!C5+ image processor. Plus you’ll be able to push your photography to new heights with numerous creative features such as HDR and Multiple Exposure modes. The EOS 5D Mark III has refined the high-performance DSLR camera category.
Please note this is a body only model. Lens not included.
- Newly designed 22.3 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, wide range ISO setting 100-25600 (L:50, H1: 51200, H2: 102400) for shooting from bright to dim light and next generation DIGIC 5+ Image Processor for enhanced noise reduction and exceptional processing speed.
- New 61-Point High Density Reticular AF including up to 41 cross-type AF points with f/4.0 lens support and 5 dual diagonal AF points (sensitive to f/2.8) and cross-type AF support at f/8 (center point)*.
- iFCL Metering with 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality.
- EOS HD Video with manual exposure control and multiple frame rates (1080: 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 720: 60p (59.94) / 50p, 480: 30p (29.97) / 25p with 4 GB automatic file partitioning (continuous recording time 29 minutes 59 seconds), selectable "All i-frame" or IPB compressions, embedded timecode, manual audio level control while recording, headphone terminal and uncompressed HDMI output*.
- Outstanding shooting performance: up to 6.0 fps continuous shooting using a UDMA CF card.
- Magnesium-alloy body with shutter durability tested up to 150,000 cycles, enhanced dust-and-weather resistance, and updated EOS Integrated Cleaning system for improved vibration-based dust removal.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with superimposed LCD display with approximately 100% field of view, wide viewing angle of 34.1°, and 0.71x magnification.
- 3.2-inch Clear View II LCD monitor, 170° viewing angle, 1,040,000-dot VGA, reflection resistance with multi coating and high-transparency materials for bright and clear viewing.
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Multiple Exposure modes expand creative possibilities.
- Improved handling with the addition of new customizable controls, enhanced recording options with Dual Card Slots for CF and SD cards, Dual Axis Electronic Level, and compatibility with optional Canon Wireless File Transmitter and GPS Receiver.
- Other Features.
Brilliant Sensor, Supercharged Processors.
22.3 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor
The EOS 5D Mark III features a newly developed Canon full-frame 22.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor that's designed from the ground up to create high resolution, perfectly detailed images with unprecedented speed and clarity. A full 24 x 36mm, the sensor captures 5784 x 3861 large individual 6.25 µm pixels and has a much-improved S/N ratio resulting in better images from the start. A new photodiode structure with an increased photoelectric conversion rate increases the sensor's sensitivity by approximately 2 stops over previous models, meaning higher ISOs with the lowest noise of any EOS digital camera. And a 2-line 8-channel simultaneous signal readout means speeds of up to 6.0 fps (RAW + JPEG) are possible!
14-bit A/D conversion, wide range ISO setting 100-25600
The EOS 5D Mark III not only offers 14-bit signal processing for excellent image gradation, it delivers higher standard and expanded ISOs, and a score of new options to enhance shooting in varied and fast-changing lighting situations. With a standard range of ISO 100-25600, the EOS 5D Mark III represents a 2-stop increase in sensitivity over previous cameras. Thanks to the improved signal-to-noise ratio of the new sensor and powerful noise reduction, the EOS 5D Mark III can shoot at expanded sensitivities down to ISO 50 (L) and up to 51200 (H1), and even 102400 (H2)! Beyond the obvious advantages of its wide ISO range, the EOS 5D Mark III has automatic ISO settings, found on the dedicated ISO menu. Minimum and maximum ISO settings can be specified, as can a user-defined range, plus full auto and manual.
DIGIC 5+ Image Processor for blazing processing speed
For a whole new level of performance, the EOS 5D Mark III uses a DIGIC 5+ Image Processor. Working with two 4-channel A/D converter front-end processing circuits, and delivering speeds of up to 6.0 fps (RAW + JPEG), and the DIGIC 5+ Image Processor improves data processing performance and features new algorithms that promote greater noise reduction at higher ISOs. In addition to conventional image processing functions the DIGIC 5+ Image Processor offers real-time compensation for chromatic aberration in both still and motion images. With the power of this processor, speed improvements are noticeable from the instant the camera is turned on and the stunning results speak for themselves.
- Type Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera
- Recording Media CF Cards (Type I); Compatible with UDMA CF cards; SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards
- Image Format Approx. 36 mm x 24mm (35mm Full-frame)
- Compatible Lenses Canon EF Lenses (excluding EF-S Lenses)
- Lens Mount Canon EF mount
- Type High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
- Pixels Effective pixels: Approx. 22.3 megapixels
- Pixel Unit 6.25 µm square
- Total Pixels Total pixels: 23.4 megapixels
- Aspect Ratio 3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
- Color Filter System RGB primary color filters
- Low Pass Filter Fixed position in front of the image sensor
- Dust Deletion Feature (1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
·Automatic Sensor Cleaning
·Removes dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass.
·Self-cleaning executed automatically when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible.
·Low-pass filter has a fluorine coating.
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
·The coordinates of the dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
·The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
- Recording Format Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
- Image Format Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC; Audio: Linear PCM)
- File Size (1) Large: Approx. 22.10 Megapixels (5760 x 3840)
(2) Medium: Approx. 9.80 Megapixels (3840 x 2560)
(3) S1 (Small 1): Approx. 5.50 Megapixels (2880 x 1920)
(4) S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5) S3 (Small 3): Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480)
(6) RAW: Approx. 22.10 Megapixels (5760 x 3840)
(7) M-RAW: Approx. 10.50 Megapixels (3960 x 2640)
(8) S-RAW: Approx. 5.50 Megapixels (2880 x 1920) Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
- Recording Functions 1. Standard
* Records to either the CF card or SD card.
2. Auto switch card
* When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card automatically.
3. Record separately
* The CF card and SD card record the same image at a different image recording quality (L, M, S1, S2, S3, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW)
4. Record to multiple
* Both the CF card and SD card record the same image at the same image recording quality. (Also applies to RAW+JPEG, M+JPEG, and SRAW+JPEG)
- Backup Recording Images recorded in a card can be copied to the other card
- File Numbering The following three types of file numbers can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The continuous numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card. (The numbering continues even when the folder changes.)
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
- RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW and eight JPEG recording quality settings.
- Color Space Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
- Picture Style Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
* Scene Intelligent Auto will set [Auto] automatically.
* [Standard] is the default setting for [User Def. 1-3]
- Settings (1) Auto (AWB)
(5) Tungsten light
(6) White fluorescent light
(8) Custom (Custom WB)
(9) Color temperature
* With an EX-series Speedlite having the color temperature information transmission feature, the color temperature setting changes to match the color temperature when the flash is fired. Set to approx. 6000K if the flash unit does not have the color temperature communication feature.
- Auto White Balance Auto white balance with the image sensor
- Color Temperature Compensation Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
· Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.
- Color Temperature Information Transmission
- Type Eye-level pentaprism
- Coverage Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally (At approx. 21mm eyepoint)
- Magnification Approx. 0.71x / Angle of view 34.1° (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (dpt))
- Eye Point Approx. 21mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
- Dioptric Adjustment Correction -3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
- Focusing Screen Fixed
- Mirror Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
- Viewfinder Information ·AF information
AF point, focus confirmation, AF status indicator
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning
Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light
Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information
Grid, electronic level
Displayed if any of the following is set: Monochrome, white balance correction, One-touch recording quality switch, expanded ISO speed, or spot metering.
- Depth Of Field Preview Enabled with Depth-of-field preview button
- Type TTL secondary image - registration, phase detection
- AF Points 61-point (up to 41 cross-type points)
* One to five cross-type AF points at f/2.8, 10 to 20 cross-type AF points at f/4, and 15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6. (The number of cross-type AF points will differ depending on the lens.)
- AF Working Range EV -2 - 18 (at 73°F/23°C and ISO 100)
- Focusing Modes (1) Autofocus
·Predictive AI Servo AF
-For automatic AF point selection, the AF point to start the AI Servo AF operation can be selected.
-For automatic AF point selection, the active AF point can be displayed.
·AI Focus AF
-(Switches between One-Shot AF and AI SERVO AF automatically)
-Automatically set in A+ Auto Mode
(2) Manual focus (MF)
- AF Point Selection 1. Single-point AF (Manual selection)
2. Auto selection 61-Point AF
3. Single-point Spot AF (Manual selection)
4. AF point expansion (Manual selection, 4 points: Up, down, left, and right)
5. AF point expansion (Manual selection, surrounding 8 points)
6. Zone AF (Manual zone selection)
- Selected AF Point Display Displayed in viewfinder with transparent LCD and on LCD panel
- Active AF Point Indicator AF area used in horizontal/vertical (grip up or down) shooting and the manually-selected AF point position can be set separately
- AF Assist Beam (1) Enable
With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite, AF-assist beam is emitted automatically when necessary.
(3) IR AF assist beam only
* No AF-assist beam with flash bursts.
- Metering Modes Max. aperture TTL metering with 63-zone SPC with the following selectable modes:
(1) Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
(2) Partial metering (center, approx. 7.2% of viewfinder)
(3) Spot metering (center, approx. 1.5% of viewfinder)
·AF point-linked spot metering not provided.
(4) Center-weighted average metering
a. The selectable metering modes can be limited with a Custom Function.
- Metering Range EV 1-20 (at 73°F / 23°C with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
- Exposure Control Systems (1) Scene Intelligent Auto
(2) Program AE (shiftable)
(3) Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(4) Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(5) Manual exposure
* The metering mode can be specified with a Custom Function.
(7) E-TTL II autoflash program AE
* Evaluative metering, Averaged metering
- ISO Speed Range For Stills:
ISO 100-25600 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
·ISO speed expansion possible to ISO 50, 51200, and 102400.
·For [Highlight tone priority], the settable ISO speed range will be 200-25600.
·ISO speed safety shift possible with Custom Function.
||ISO 400 fixed
||ISO 400 fixed∗
- ∗If fill flash will result in overexposure, minimum ISO 100 is set. ∗For bounce flash, ISO 400-1600 is set automatically depending on the light level.
ISO Speed upper and lower limits:
(1) Manual setting range
* ISO speed expansion is set with this option.
(2) Auto ISO range
* ISO speed expansion not settable.
Shutter speed and automatic ISO speed control in P and Av Modes:
In the P and Av shooting modes with Auto ISO set, the ISO speed is set automatically so that a shutter speed slower than the one set with [Minimum shutter speed] (1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 0"5, 1") is not set.
- Exposure Compensation Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
AEB: ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
* Indicated up to ±3 stops on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.
- AE Lock (1) Auto AE lock
·In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
·With AE lock button. (AE lock is updated each time you press the button.) Enabled in all metering modes.
- Type Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
- Shutter Speeds 1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- Shutter Release Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self Timer 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
- Shutter Lag Time 1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure:
- Approx. 0.059 sec. (With the shutter-release time lag is shortened with the Custom Function, it will be approx. 0.036 sec.)
2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.2 sec.
- Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3 stops or less. Excludes AF operation time.
- EOS Dedicated Speedlite E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
- Zooming to Match Focal Length Provided
- Flash Exposure Compensation ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- FE Lock Provided
- External Flash Settings The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II, or 270EX:
(1) External flash control
* Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not possible with 270EX II/270EX), flash exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash (not possible with 430EX II/ 270EX), and clear settings.
* With the Speedlite 600EX-RT, radio wireless control is possible.
(2) Flash Custom Function setting
- PC Terminal Provided (no polarity)
- Drive Modes Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, Silent Single Shooting and Self-timer (10 sec. self-timer/remote control, or 2-sec. self-timer/remote control)
- Continuous Shooting Speed High-speed: Maximum approx. 6 shots/sec.
Low-speed: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.
Silent continuous shooting: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.
- Maximum Burst ·JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 65 shots (approx. 16270 shots)
·RAW: Approx. 13 shots (approx. 18 shots)
·RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 7 shots (approx. 7 shots)
*Figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) and a 8 GB card.
*Figures in parentheses apply to an UDMA mode 7, 128 GB card based on Canon's testing standards.
- Shooting Modes Still photo and video recording
- Focusing (1) Autofocus (One-Shot AF)
·One-point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point possible.
·Face detection Live mode
·Face detection, contrast AF. Face selectable.
61-point, phase-difference AF, same as normal shooting.
(2) Manual focus
* Magnify the image by 5x or 10x and focus manually.
- Metering Modes Real-time Evaluative metering with the image sensor
- Metering Range Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor:
·Metering range: EV 0 - EV 20 (At 73°F/23°C, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
·AE lock possible
·The active metering time can be changed.
- Grid Display Three grid display provided
- Exposure Simulation Provided
- Silent Shooting Provided (Mode 1 and 2)
- File Format MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Variable (averaged) bit rate
- File Size Recording Sizes:
1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 1280 x 720 and 640 x 480
- Frame Rates [1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps
[1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps
[640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps
- Continuous Shooting Time Based on 8GB Card:
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps ALL-I: 11 min. (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min (235 MB/min.)
25 fps ALL-I: 11 min (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min. (235 MB/min.)
24 fps ALL-I: 11 min. (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min. (235 MB/min.)
[1280 x 720]
60 fps ALL-I: 12 min. (610 MB/min.) / IPB: 37 min. (205 MB/min.)
50 fps ALL-I: 12 min. (610 MB/min.) / IPB: 37 min. (205 MB/min.)
[640 x 480]
30 fps IPB: 97 min. (78 MB/min.)
25 fps IPB: 97 min. (78 MB/min.)
* If the recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec., the movie shooting stops automatically.
* Movie shooting does not stop when the file size reaches 4GB.
- Focusing Same as focusing with Live View shooting
* During movie shooting or if movie cropping has been set, the image cannot be magnified for manual focusing.
- Range ISO Range
·P, Av, and Bulb: Automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800, expandable to H (equivalent to ISO 25600)
·A+ and Tv: Automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800
·M: Auto ISO (automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800), ISO 100 - 12800 set manually (in 1/3- or whole-stop increments), expandable to H (equivalent to ISO 16000/20000/25600)
* If Highlight tone priority is set to enable, the settable ISO speed range will be ISO 200 - 12800.
- Exposure Control (1) Program AE for movie shooting
* For shooting modes other than manual exposure and bulb.
* Shutter speed (1/30 - 1/4000 sec., signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Manual exposure
* For manual exposure.
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
- Exposure Compensation Up to ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
* For movies, even if exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops, exposure compensation up to only ±3 stops will be applied.
* For still photos, exposure compensation up to ±5 stops can be applied.
- Type TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
- Monitor Size 3.2-inches
- Pixels Approx. 1.04 million dots
- Coverage Approx. 100%
Approx. 170° vertically and horizontally
- Brightness Control Auto: Brightness adjusted automatically by the light sensor
* Adjustable to one of three levels: Darker, Standard, Brighter
Manual: Adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
- Coating Clear View LCD II
* Glass surface has an anti-reflective AR coating.
- Interface Languages 25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
- On LCD Monitor Electronic level indicates up to 360° roll and ±10° pitch in 1° increments.
- In Viewfinder The AF point display is used to indicate up to ±6° horizontal tilt and ±4° vertical tilt in 1° increments (During vertical shooting, up to ±1° horizontal tilt and ±6° vertical tilt).
- Display Format Single image, Single image + Image-recording quality/shooting information, histogram, 4- or 9-image index, magnified view (approx. 1.5x-10x), rotated image (auto/manual), image jump (by 10/100 images, index screen, by shooting date, by folder), two-image comparative display, slide show (all images/selected by date/folder), star rating
- Highlight Alert With single-image display (Info.) and single-image display, overexposed highlight areas will blink
- Items The following functions can be set:
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, exposure compensation, AEB, flash exposure compensation, AF point selection (including AF area selection modes), Picture Style, White Balance, WB Correction, metering mode, Auto Lighting Optimizer, recording function switching, image-recording quality, AF mode, drive mode, and Custom Controls (camera controls/buttons customization).
- Protection Erase protection can be applied or canceled for a single image, all images in a folder or all images in the card
- Erase Erase a single image, selected images, all images in a folder, all images in a card or erase only unprotected images
- Compatible Printers PictBridge-compatible printers
- Printable Images RAW and JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
·Movies cannot be printed
- DPOF Version 1.1 compatible
- Compatible Images JPEG and RAW images and movie
For RAW+JPEG, only the RAW or JPEG image or both images can be transferred
- Custom Functions 13 Custom Functions settable with the camera
- Custom Controls The following camera controls can be customized by assigning the desired function: Shutter button halfway pressing, AF-ON button, AE lock button, Depth-of-field preview button, lens AF Stop button, Multifunction button, SET button, Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, and Multicontroller
- Camera User Settings Current camera settings can be registered to C1, C2 and C3 on the Mode Dial (Automatic registration update is possible)
- My Menu Registration Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
- USB Terminal For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
- Video Out Terminal (1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
(2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal
- Extension System Terminal For connection to WFT-E7A (WFT) and GP-E2 (GPS)
- Gigabit-Ethernet The RJ-45 jack is not built-in and is only available via the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7A
- Battery One Battery Pack LP-E6
AC power can be supplied with the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6
- Battery Life 1) Camera body only:
||At 73°F/ 23°C
|At 32°F/ 0°C
|Live View shooting
|At 32°FF/ 0°C
2) With Battery Grip BG-E11:
||LP-E6 x 1
||Same as (1)
|LP-E6 x 2
||At 73°F/ 23°C
|At 32°F/ 0°C
|Size AA/LR6 alkaline batteries
||At 73°F/ 23°C
|At 32°F/ 0°C
|Live View shooting
||LP-E6 x 1
||Same as (1)
||At 73°F/ 23°C
|At 32°F/ 0°C
|Size AA/LR6 alkaline batteries
||At 73°F/ 23°C
|At 32°F/ 0°C
∗Based on CIPA testing standards
- Battery Check Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned on:
Displayed in 6 levels:
·Battery level displayed on LCD panel and in viewfinder.
·Battery information can be checked with the [Battery info.] menu
·If Battery Grip BG-E11 is used with size AA/LR6 batteries; the battery level is displayed in four levels instead.
- Power Saving Power turns off after the set time (1, 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 minutes) of non-operation elapses.
- Date/Time Battery CR1616 lithium battery
- Start-up Time Approx. 0.1 sec
- Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 6.0 x 4.6 x 3.0 in. (152.0 x 116.4 x 76.4 mm )
- Weight Approx. 33.5 oz. / 950g (Based on CIPA standards)
Approx. 30.3 oz./ 860g (Body only)
- Working Temperature Range
- Working Humidity Range 85% or less