The Sony PDW-F1600 is an XDCAM HD422 recorder and player. Built upon blue laser technology, the XDCAM HD line of products takes advantage of non-linear workflow, while keeping the same archiving infrastructure professionals are accustomed to with tape-based formats. The player is ideal for transferring footage into non-linear workstations.
- Non-Linear Scene Selection Possibly the greatest attribute of working with non-linear optical recording is the ability to access scenes independently. This along with multiple viewing options makes XDCAM HD extremely powerful, increasing post-production efficiency. Sony's thumbnail scene selection tool makes looking for shots a breeze. Using the on board LCD, simply cycle through the list of clips to find what you need.
- Up and Downconversion Either convert DVCAM to MPEG HD or vice-versa, and output them via the HD analog component input connection. Upconversion gives users the ability to migrate existing SD footage to HD; This can be a valuable "insurance policy" for clients that might request older standard definition projects in HD. Downconversion can be useful as well, especially for mastering tapes to broadcast-ready standards or in the instance where it's undesirable to distribute your HD masters.
- Proxy Browsing Proxy Browsing refers to Sony's included Proxy software program from PC workstations. The software connects via i.LINK or Ethernet interfaces, and features easy access to clips. Search by metadata settings and make simple cuts. The cuts are saved as a "Clip List" and stored back on the disc. This function is powerful for streamlining the editing process during short deadlines. Proxy data can be accessed up to 20x real-time, making the process incredibly efficient.
- Expand Function The player allows easy access to longer clips by dividing them into 12 smaller, more manageable ones. The beginning of each division is shown as a thumbnail and enables quick viewing through longer shots. This feature is great for quick access to time-critical footage and can be especially helpful for news gathering where deadlines are crucial.
- HDV Compatibility The PDW-F1600 can be interfaced with Sony's full line of affordable HDV products with the optional PDBK-102 input card.